One Great Season
Welcome to the first annual Best & Worst of ESPN. I recently asked some writer friends to give me a list of their favorite on-air people at the WWL, as well as a list of those they like the least.
There were no restrictions, really; voters could pick "SportsCenter" anchors, in-studio analysts, game analysts, color commentators, sideline reporters, any on-camera personality. Even Jenn Brown got a vote, and this wasn't even a bikini contest. (It was a "worst" vote, by the way.)
So without further ado, after the jump you'll find a look at our ESPN favorites, with a quote or two from our voters:
- Scott Van Pelt: "Just gets it. No gimmicks. I love watching his golf coverage. Plus, he likes 'Aqua Teen Hunger Force.'"
- Jay Bilas: "A ruthless yet fundamentally fair commentator who is willing to stick his neck out and rip people."
- Rece Davis: "The calmest, sanest man in the room whenever ESPN covers college football or basketball."
- Chris Fowler: "He does so much to increase the prestige of the ESPN brand with his work in college football and tennis ... I wish ESPN had 10 of him."
- Mike Tirico: "I would watch chess on TV if Tirico was calling the action."
- Sean McDonough: "One of the few play-by-play guys who will put his idiot color commentators in their place, but in a professional way. Just love the voice."
And now our least favorite ESPN people:
- Stuart Scott: "Lame sound effects, attempts at clever humor always fail ... Does anybody like him? ... Contrary to popular belief and despite his frequent use of the phrase, he did not coin, 'cooler than the other side of the pillow.'"
- Craig James: "Needs to be locked in a dark equipment room ... ESPN Conflict Of Interest poster boy."
- Chris Berman: "Add him to the list of guys with a tired schtick. The sound effects, the silly nicknames, and the cliches are all so very tired."
- Dick Vitale: "He's become a complete and total cheerleader for John Calipari and that just drives me crazy."
- Colin Cowherd: "Self-important, narrow-minded blow hard who loves to hear himself talk and looks like a rat."
- Lou Holtz: "I'm not sure this guy knows where he is anymore."
DISCUSSION: Who Do You Like/Hate The Most At ESPN?
Among those who participated in this survey were: David Balutanski, Jay Beck, Jacqueline Conrad, Mark Ennis, Jeff Garcia, Jeff Gluck, Ben Jackey, Raphielle Johnson, Adam Kramer, Troy Machir, Chad Potier, Matt Zemek