One Great Season
The Jets certainly were the NFL's January darlings under first-year coach Rex Ryan, and just hours into free agency season, they made a move that many think could have Gang Green playing into February next year.
The Jets traded for San Diego star cornerback Antonio Cromartie just a few minutes after midnight Friday, adding a shut-down cornerback to an already dominant defensive secondary led by Darrelle Revis, considered the best corner in the league right now.
When something appears to be so obvious -- like the theory that the Jets' defense will carry them to the Super Bowl next season, for example -- something often goes wrong and the sky-high expectations set by fans precede only heartbreak.
But for an hour at least, there was plenty of speculation on Twitter about how good the Jets will be in 2010. Here's a sampling:
* @MondayMorningQB: With the addition of Antonio Cromartie and the already dominating Darrelle Revis, Rex Ryan can now call blitzes with his eyes closed.
* @1000Steps: Charger nation says have him NY, he'll implode there.
* @MoveTheSticks: Cromartie fits NYJ scheme. They send heavy pressure and allow CB's 2 jump routes. Good move.
* @TheJetsStream: Cromartie reportedly has seven kids living in 5 states. Could get expensive if all of his families want PSLs in new stadium.
* @SexyRexyRyan: We got Cromartie! This is our year! Don't worry about the year after that, we play for today!
* @BrettHickman: Cromartie on one side and Revis on the other side? This move was made for playoff matchups against Peyton Manning and the Colts.
* @tunasweasel: Can Jets now put Cromartie on Moss and let Revis cover Welker? >> makes perfect sense.
* @AbuKedem: Best secondary in a long while, or did SD offload a problem on us?
* @Jerm_Weiner: A 3rd round draft pick for Cromartie? Is that what this Pro Bowl CB is worth? I know he had an off year this year, but cmon.
* @nchowdhury07: Antonio cromartie + darrelle revis in the jets secondary = game over.